December 11, 2011

Here's to Mental Health

As all educators do, I have found myself beyond stressed out with a never ending to-do list.  I left school on Friday thinking about all the things I needed to do this weekend. On top of everything I needed to accomplish for school, I have not sent out Christmas cards (much less, finished Christmas shopping), my cousin had a beautiful baby on Friday, and I have a couple of events I need to be planning.


While everything weigh heavy on my mind, one of my best friends from college called and suggested a random road trip.  While very hesitant at first, she twisted my arm just enough to meet her half way between St. Petersburg and Jacksonville, where she lives.  So, we found ourselves in Ocala.  What is in Ocala, you ask?  Not much.

We got a cheap room, drank some wine and caught up.  I had no idea how much I needed to free my mind.  We slept in and then ventured around the downtown area.  The trip was simple, spontaneous, probably a bit irresponsible, but it was perfect.

In saying all this, my simple point is that sometimes, just sometimes, we have to leave work at work.  While I didn't get all the grading, planning and projects done that I was hoping to complete this weekend, I do feel beyond refreshed and ready for the kiddies tomorrow.

So teachers, take a break every once in a while.  Your students will probably thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment